Sunday, April 7, 2013
The Wiseman Hotel was first known as the Crotwell Hotel (J.A. Cotwell buillt the hotel in 1879), then the Frederick House, then the Savoy. H.P. Parr and M.L. Spearman bought the hotel in 1918 with plans to modernize it, and by 1923, the name had changed to the National Hotel. By the 1940's, Mr. Wiseman bought the hotel and called it the Wiseman Hotel. The Wiseman Hotel site is now part of the parking lot of the Newberry County Court House on College Street.
Above: view is looking SSE along College Street toward the College St and Main Street intersection.
Friday, February 8, 2013
The following is from an online description of the house:
"Oakhurst is a two-story brick private residence built circa 1893 to 1895 by Budd Cade Matthews and Clara Crotwell Matthews on the site of an earlier dwelling. Designed by the firm of Niernsee and La Motte of Columbia, the house reflects both the Queen Anne and Italianate influences. It is the only house in Newberry known to have been designed by the Niernsee firm and is the only identified brick dwelling in the Midlands region of the state which features the Queen Anne style. Among the outstanding architectural features of the house are its three-story turret with shingled tent roof, encircling veranda, arched entryway and stair hall. Oakhurst is also notable for its extant collection of original dependencies, which include a brick privy, brick milk house, frame stable, combination wood/hen house, and well. Budd Cade Matthews was a prominent Newberry banker, businessman and civic leader. Matthews founded the B.C. Matthews Brick Manufacturing Company and the Matthews and Cannon Mercantile Firm. He served as president of the Newberry Chamber of Commerce, and as a director of both the Newberry Cotton Mills and the Newberry Hospital Association. In addition, Budd Cade Matthews owned large farming interests. Listed in the National Register April 24, 1979. It has since been demolished. Removed from the National Register December 8, 2005."
The following information about the house is from a form in 1979 nominating the house for inclusion on the national register of historic places:
When the house was purchased for the purpose of redeveloping the property for commercial use, preservationists in the area made several attempts to stop the destruction of the house. Most hoped that the house could be preserved where it was, possibly as a visitors center or a museum. When it became clear that the property was going to be commercialized, attempts were made to raise money to move the house to another location and Newberry College considered moving the house to its campus. But concerns about the cost and the difficulty of moving a brick house (with 18" walls) across town led to the final decision to tear the house down after the interior woodwork was removed for reuse.
Tuesday, February 5, 2013
The building had been built as Newberry High School in 1911 and became the Newberry Junior High School when a new high school was built on Nance Street in 1926.
Below: a 1911 map; the building had just opened September 18, 1911 with five classrooms, a laboratory, two offices, a large auditorium on the second floor, and a basement with heating equipment, storage rooms, and restrooms.
Some of the above information is from History of Junior High School courtesy of the South Caroliniana Library, University of South Carolina.
Below: Mrs. Nobles' 7th grade, homeroom class at Newberry Junior High, spring, 1960