Sunday, April 7, 2013
Crotwell Hotel, later known as the Wiseman Hotel
The Wiseman Hotel was first known as the Crotwell Hotel (J.A. Cotwell buillt the hotel in 1879), then the Frederick House, then the Savoy. H.P. Parr and M.L. Spearman bought the hotel in 1918 with plans to modernize it, and by 1923, the name had changed to the National Hotel. By the 1940's, Mr. Wiseman bought the hotel and called it the Wiseman Hotel. The Wiseman Hotel site is now part of the parking lot of the Newberry County Court House on College Street.
Above: view is looking SSE along College Street toward the College St and Main Street intersection.