The original 1884 brick mill was designed by the renowned Boston engineering firm of Lockwood and Greene. Subsequent additions to the mill occurred in 1895 and 1910. The Newberry Cotton Mill has since been demolished (about 1982). The mill village includes eighty-one one-story and twenty-six two-story frame mill houses, constructed between 1884 and 1910 by the mill for the factory operatives and their families. The houses were sold by the mill in the 1940s to individual families.